The job market today is both fiercely competitive and thoroughly digital—no secret there. Customizing your resume and fashioning cover letters brimming with keywords have evolved into crucial steps for a winning approach.
However, job applications often entail lengthy forms featuring intricate skill-related queries, demanding layers of personal information. These applications, even for the most promising roles, tend to be exasperatingly time-consuming.
And let’s face it, who has that kind of time and energy?
Job applicants today need to seriously consider elevating their application strategy to secure that coveted new job. As the world continues its digital progression, rather than exhausting all your resources on a single job prospect, it’s high time to harness technology to your advantage. How? Embrace the prowess of AI (artificial intelligence) tools like ChatGPT for job applications.
Let’s find out how!
How can you use AI Tools like ChatGPT to Land Covered Roles? Try These 5 Hacks!
Let’s take an example to get started. Say you’re trying to land the engineering manager role at Google.
You go through the entire interview process for Google Engineering Manager role. You start with your resume, the cover letter, the comms with hiring managers, and not to forget – the interview preparation itself.
Let’s dive into each of these and see how to use AI for each of this:
#1 Craft a Stand-out Resume
Crafting an impactful resume demands substantial effort. Here’s why you should use AI tools like ChatGPT to write your resume.
- Saving time: Swiftly generate resume content using the information and prompts you supply.
- Customizing: Align details with the specific job you’re pursuing
- Finding strengths: Propose skills or experiences that might have eluded you, yet hold pertinence to the role.
- Boosting success: Generate a well-crafted, precise, and outstanding resume that highlights your competencies and background optimally.
Now, you may be wondering how to use ChatGPT for resume writing. Here are a few tips with prompts:
- Tailor your achievements section: You can use ChatGPT to craft resume achievements that match a specific job description. Input job responsibilities into ChatGPT and enter this prompt: “Write resume achievements with metrics based on these job responsibilities. Generate in bullet points”
- Craft a professional summary: Create an impactful professional summary using ChatGPT. Copy your resume and use this prompt: “Write a professional summary using my resume. Outline how my experience and skills make me suitable for the <enter job role> position.”
- Enhance existing resume: You can use ChatGPT to improve the language in specific sections of your resume (work experience section, achievements, milestones, etc), receive content suggestions, and even review your resume for grammar and punctuation errors. You can use prompts like:
- “Rewrite my work experience to make it more impactful.”
- “Review the achievements and professional summary sections for grammatical and punctuation errors.”
#2 Tailor Your Cover Letters
Tools like ChatGPT and Google Bard can aid you in composing personalized cover letters that effectively showcase your qualifications and experience for a specific job. By furnishing ChatGPT with details about your background, the job description, and the company, you can receive a custom-crafted cover letter tailored to the position you’re seeking. Below, you’ll find two methods to generate and customize cover letters using ChatGPT.
The first approach: Give ChatGPT the deets about the target role, the company’s name, and the job description, and then ask it to work its magic on the cover letter, like so:
Prompt: “I’m seeking the position of a [Target Role] at [Company Name], and I’d appreciate your assistance in crafting a personalized cover letter. The job posting specifies a requirement for experience in [Field Of Experience, e.g., Java, Python]. Kindly ensure a professional and confident tone, emphasizing my potential contributions to the company’s success.
Here’s the job description: [insert the job description here].”
Alternatively: You can opt to upload your resume and use the prompt below to generate a cover letter tailored to the role you intend to apply for.
Prompt: “Here’s the job description for the position I’m interested in. I’d like you to generate a cover letter for the role of [Target Role] at [Company Name]. The cover letter should be concise, within 200 words, and convey a formal and professional tone while highlighting my skills and qualifications. Will you be able to assist? If so, I’ll share my resume for reference.”
Do this, and watch as ChatGPT whips up a tailored cover letter that perfectly matches the position you’re after.
Tip #3 Follow Up with Hiring Managers
Your approach after submitting a job application can significantly impact your chances, especially when it comes to following up with hiring managers. A steadfast rule to adopt is initiating contact with the company via email once every week for three weeks post-application.
This is where ChatGPT steps in to simplify the process.
Enter this prompt on ChatGPT: “Craft a compelling follow-up email for the [job title] at [company name], addressed to [name of hiring manager] in more than 50 words. Sound respectful and enthusiastic.”
Once you receive the generated text, refine it until you’re satisfied with the outcome. (You can use the same prompt for the second and third follow-up emails too!)
Once satisfied, transfer your results for direct editing. Don’t forget to double-check accuracy, spelling, and grammar. Following that, paste the response into an email template, and you’re all set to hit that “send” button!
While you await a response, maximize your time by focusing on other job search tasks. ChatGPT can help you prep for potential interview questions, or you could brainstorm ideas to make your LinkedIn profile stand out. Don’t forget to stay in the loop with recruiters through networking efforts.
#4 Cultivate Your Personal Brand through LinkedIn Posts
Being active on LinkedIn can significantly enhance your visibility as a standout candidate. The more engagement (likes and responses) your posts receive, the greater your visibility—underscoring the importance of leveraging social media to bolster your network and personal brand.
Powerful language models such as ChatGPT and Google’s Bard can swiftly provide ideas to elevate your every post.
Let’s say you are a software engineer. Here are some effective prompts to get the conversation started with top-notch content ideas:
- In the dynamic world of software development, how can engineers keep their skills up-to-date and stay relevant in evolving technologies?
- Exploring the realm of AI and machine learning: What are some exciting projects that software engineers can undertake to contribute to this field?
- From internships to full-time roles: What valuable lessons have you learned in your journey as a software engineer, and how have they shaped your career?
- Demystifying tech interviews: Share your insights on effective strategies to prepare for coding interviews and tackle challenging algorithmic problems.
- Remote work in tech: Share your experiences and tips for staying productive, maintaining work-life balance, and nurturing a strong virtual team culture
- Breaking into the tech industry: What advice do you have for aspiring software engineers, from building a portfolio to acing technical interviews?
#5: Prepare for Interviews
When you reach the interview stage, consider leveraging AI generative tools to ask questions like, “What are the typical interview questions for the role of …?” This can provide insights into potential questions and crafting ideal responses. For instance, you can inquire, “What’s an effective reply to a question about …?”
Platforms like Bard, ChatGPT, Bing AI, and similar ones offer valuable insights that you can incorporate into your interview preparation.
Remember, the precision of your prompts influences the relevance of the responses you receive.
However, it’s important to note that chatbots may not possess definitive answers. They generate intelligent assumptions based on their extensive training data and online information. Hence, it’s advisable to cross-reference critical information.
In addition, we recommend consulting industry experts or professionals in your target role and company for a well-rounded approach to your interview preparation.
To wrap it up:
Regardless of whether you choose to employ ChatGPT, Bard, or Bing, your preferred AI chatbots have the potential to elevate your application above the competition. These dynamic AI (artificial intelligence) tools can help you streamline your efforts and dramatically curtail the time and energy invested in potential positions.